BRIEF ON DEPARTMENT
The Department of Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering of the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, was established in 1998 initially bearing Agricultural Engineering Programme and later in 2014 renamed as Department of Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering under the Faculty of Engineering and Engineering Technology. Currently, the Department offers courses leading to the award of B. Eng. (Hons.) and PhD (by research) in Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering.
The philosophy of the Department is to accelerate sustainable agricultural development and utilisation of biological resources for the benefit of the nation and world at large. These would be achieved through dynamic engineering education, research and public/community services. The manpower training in Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering would stem from the combined knowledge of Science, Agriculture and Engineering professions. These include integration of principles of agricultural production and eventually culminate with processes associated with the production of biologically based goods and the management as well as protection of natural resources. Research and community development services are focused on efficient and environmentally sensitive methods of producing food, fibre and bio based products and renewable energy for the nation.
BRIEF ON COURSES OFFERED (UNDER/POST GRADUATE)
The Department offers undergraduate courses, Postgraduate Diploma (PGD), Master’s and PhD programme in Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering. The entry requirements, duration and mode of training are as follows:
BACHELOR OF ENGINEERING (B. ENG) IN AGRICULTURAL AND BIORESOURCE ENGINEERING
Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering is essentially an engineering discipline with bias to agricultural and natural resource applications. The admission requirements are the same as with any other engineering discipline and include:
- SSCE or its equivalent at O' Level with credits in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English Language, Biology/Agricultural Science or any other science subject at not more than two sittings. JAMB/UTME compulsory entry combinations of Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English Language.
- ATBU Remedial Programme, satisfying the above requirements and with JAMB admission letter.
Admission into the Department of Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering is presently through UTME. Candidates must have a minimum UTME score (Specified by NUC) and to satisfy the University’s cut-off point for the selected course.
Candidates applying through Direct Entry also go through JAMB and must score a good credit or pass in IJMB and OND/ND/HND. Their OND/ND/HND certificates should be in any relevant discipline with a minimum of lower credit.
Duration of the Programme
Candidates admitted through JAMB UTME and remedial spend a minimum of five (5) academic years to graduate. Those with IJMB, OND and HND spend a minimum of four (4) academic years.
Mode of Training of Programme
The Department of Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering also operates the two semesters per session. The thought courses taken in the semesters are tailored towards the areas of specialisation of the profession which include:
- Crop Processing and Storage Engineering
- Farm Power and Machinery
- Farm Structures and Environmental Control
- Food Engineering / Postharvest Technology
- Soil and Water Engineering
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD)
Graduates of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University or other recognised Universities with at least Second Class Honours Degree and holders of any other qualifications together with relevant field experience deemed acceptable to the University.
MASTER’S DEGREE IN AGRICULTURAL AND BIORESOURCE ENGINEERING
Graduate of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University who have obtained the approved first degree with at least Second Class Honours or its equivalent, or candidates with University Honour Degree and appropriate Postgraduate Diploma of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University or other recognised University with at least a credit level pass.
Candidate who possesses Higher National Diploma with at least a credit pass from a recognised institution and at least a pass of Postgraduate Diploma of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University in the relevant areas.
Candidates may be required to sit for a qualifying examination either before or after approval of registration or at an appropriate stage of their course work or research.
The O'level qualification is 5 credit at GCE “O” level or SSCE which must include mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology or Agric. Science.
Candidates applying for this programme must have in their first degree a minimum of Second Class (Upper Division) and in the case of PGD a minimum of upper credit in Agricultural Engineering of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi or any other equivalent engineering qualifications from other recognised University.
Applicants with Second Class (Lower Division) and PGD with lower Credits will be offered admission on passing an entrance examination and / or oral interview.
Programme Type Minimum (Months or years) Maximum (Month or years)
(Full – Time) 18 months (1 year) 36 months (3 years)
- A minimum of 15 units per Semester is required and a CGPA of 2.50.
- At the end of two (2) semesters, all students who make the necessary pass grade will proceed to the Thesis work.
- Students with unsatisfactory grades in Three (3) courses or less shall be allowed to retake and pass the Courses within (3) months.
- Students with unsatisfactory grades in more than three courses will be required to withdraw from the Masters Programme.
- A grade below “B” in compulsory Courses and grade below “C” in any other course is unsatisfactory and it has to be retaken.
- Taught courses will be examined through the combined process of continuous assessment and examination at the end of the semester. The continuous assessment which may consist of assignments, tests, seminars, etc. carries 30% while the examination carries 70 %.
Master of Philosophy (M. Phil.) and Masters by Research Degrees
Graduates of Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University or other recognised institutions who have obtained the approved first degree with at least Second Class Honours (Upper Division).
A good Second Class Honours Degree plus a considerable relevant industrial experience.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY (PhD) IN AGRICULTURAL AND BIORESOURCE ENGINEERING
- O' level GCE/SSCE qualification, 5 credit at GCE “O” level or SSCE which must include Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, English and Biology or Agric. Science.
- MSc, M. Eng. or M. Tech. in Agricultural Engineering, Food Engineering and any other relevant areas from a recognised Institution with a minimum of Second Class Lower Division.
- A good Master’s degree in Agricultural Engineering, Food Engineering or any other related courses with research project and average of B – grade overall from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi or from any other recognised University.
Programme Type Minimum (Months or years) Maximum (Month or years)
(Full – Time) 36 months (3 years) 60 months (5 years)
(Part – Time) 60 months (5 years) 84 months (7 years)
Candidates registering for PhD. programme are expected to have satisfied the course work requirement for MSc, M. Eng. or M. Tech Programme. Where the supervisor deems it necessary, students may be asked to take courses in areas relevant to the candidates’ research topic.
A candidate shall present a thesis which must be an original piece of work approved by the Department and Senate.